Saturday, August 21, 2010

Trying to find the right treatment - From Facebook

Okay, it has been a month since I updated you, and I realize that is too long! But there really hasn't been that much to report, because all I have been doing is getting info about the treatment menu. I got scared a few times (like when an oncologist told me I had to have all my lymph nodes removed before she would treat me) Or when another doctor told me I was "off the reservation" because I wasn't following the 'standard of care' - What I have learned from deep inside is that the only person who knows what is best for me - is me! And my surgeon :)))

I have a great surgeon who explained to me that doctors have a cookbook and I wasn't following the recipe. She reassured me that my pathology (another new word in my lexicon!) indicated no other lymph nodes need to be removed. I have a greater fear of what radiation and chemo and drugs will do to my body than I do of a cancer reoccurence. The statistics do not make it an imperative for me. I know lots and lots of women who have traveled that path just fine (my neighbor is doing well with that choice) but I just can't. Unintended consequences.

I've decided to have a mastectomy instead. I had totally disregarded that alternative, who knows why - but then the thought that I can have perky breasts again and insurance will pay for it - well! How cool is that? And I don't have to do radiation! I have continued to alter my eating - today I bought this unbelievably great blender so I can eat my raw food and fiber and I don't have to cook!! YAY!!!! As to when? Don't know. Still have some more tests (genetic stuff) and will go from there. Thanks to you all for your love and support - It is as necessary to me as breathing is - I'll let you know sooner than a month! - love, cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment