Saturday, August 21, 2010

Frantic First month - from Facebook

I had my first appt with the surgeon yesterday at Seattle Cancer Care Alliance - it was 4 plus hour experience - they use a team approach at Fred Hutch, so I met with not only with the surgeon (Ben Anderson, he is rated in the top 10 breast surgeons in the country), but also the radiation oncologist and the doctor that handles the hormone treatment later (that tamoxifen stuff). It was quite amazing. They even taped everything they said and gave me the tape to listen to again - I think most people forget half of what they are told at a visit like this!
Turns out the DCIS is 'scattered' and just over the standard limits of a lumpectomy, so a mastectomy would be the recommended course of action. BUT, because, as the surgeon said, I have 'youthful' breasts, (that's the nicest thing a man has said to me in a while!) he thinks he can do the lumpectomy - he said he would give it the 'old college try' - providing the MRI that I have next week shows no other calcifications outside that limit. Surgery will be the first week of June. I told him I need to be ready for the Rock and Roll on June 26, and he very nicely said that probably wouldn't be a good idea - but I'll see when I get there.

I've been doing a lot of reading on alternative therapies - and not having radiation or that drug treatment. Since I think this is an aberration in my life I'm handling it as such - I am also going to the Seattle Cancer Wellness Center - they are naturopathic oriented.

I am so very fortunate, although I admit when I heard the word 'mastectomy' my stomach took a dive ...

No comments:

Post a Comment