Saturday, August 21, 2010

Second Surgery - From Facebook

The doctor in Arizona was charming - even to making sure sure my birth date was correct because I certainly didn't look 57 :)) He also said he had no problem giving me the radiation I wanted - after all, he is the one who pioneered this technique and the size was not an issue for him. He also praised my surgeon for her superb job leaving him the markers he needed to see where to go. He ordered a post-surgery mammogram to make sure all the calcifications were removed. He also strongly encouraged me to have 4 more lymph nodes removed and tested 'just to be sure" there were no cancer cells. And he also talked with my surgeon to explain all this. He made me feel like it was all about me! (He also hasn't been married all that long - we had a great discussion about how hard it is to find a new mate at our age!)
The new mammogram showed several calcifications the size of pin heads. Those need to be removed. Removing four nodes will not impact me as far as lymphedema goes (swelling and pain and weak arm that is a common side affect of lymph node removal). Surgery is scheduled for August 23 at Valley.

Two weeks after surgery, (assuming the nodes are cancer free, which they are expected to be because of the pathology) I will fly to Phoenix and begin radiation - 5 days, twice a day, targeted to the place in my breast where the tumor was, no side effects - then I'm done! I should be home around September 20.

So my questions were:

My petscan said I had no cancer cells, why remove any more lymph nodes? Answer: Because no technology surpasses actually looking at the nodes through a microscope. The petscan cannot see microscopic cancer cells.

Why will removing four nodes make everyone happy? Because that is the standard of care (sorta!) when you have one positive sentinel (the leader of the pack) like I did - the doctor in Arizona wants to make sure I am eligible for the radiation he will do and my surgeon agrees.

Why remove those calcifications? Because my cancer was found inside calcifications, so it is not unusual to remove any left behind. Cancer or not, I want those out!

I found an article written last December saying a survey showed well educated women who live alone are hardest hit emotionally by breast cancer. That is why you (especially you) are so vital to my success in getting though this in one healthy piece - thanks for being there for me - I love you all - and I am so fortunate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment