Friday, August 27, 2010

The size of the tumor removed is outside the current guidelines for partial breast radiation/brachtherapy. I was offered only whole breast radiation in my 50 mile radius. I will not do that for the reasons listed below.

Dr. Robert Kuske is a pioneer in the use of brachytherapy. I faxed him my pathology reports and he asked that I fly down to see him in Arizona, which I did. He examined me and said although I was outside the guidelines, he could offer brachytherapy to me. That is what his letter said. He offered it to me, he can do it.

Because Dr. Kuske is a pioneer and very skilled - he can do brachytherapy on me. Oncologists in my area do not have his level of skill. They can't do it. That is why they would only offer WBR.

I have Regence Select, which is the Boeing Plan that allows only network treatment. In January, I can change my plan to Boeing Traditional - that allows me to go anywhere to have treatment, including Dr.  Kuske in Arizona, without having to ask for permission. I just can't wait  4 months - there is a time constraint on doing radiation after surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment