Friday, September 3, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

A lovely girlfriend offered me time at her retreat on Harstine Island, out past Gig Harbor on the peninsula going toward Shelton. Her place is on the point close to the water. So within an hour of arrival I have braved the cold waters of Puget Sound and my whole body is happy. I spent an hour in the water, sorta standing with the water clear up to my neck, just watching the boats and letting time pass. I thought about the insurance issue, and realized there is nothing I can do. They turn me down, they don't, well, I will deal with it next week. Maybe I go Wed and maybe I don't. I was told by Boeing that Regence has declared this radiation a medical necessity, and if they turn me down to go to Arizona they will have to find me someone within 50 miles who will do my size of tumor. That's okay with me. I've done my due diligence and they can, too.

I am really thinking how to make sure this experience helps other women. I don't want to get breast cancer and let the experience go to waste. I want to change my life but I don't know what that looks like. I just know that I am so blessed with the community of friends that I have surrounding me. I ran into Mary this morning out on her run - she was wearing a scarf around her head. I saw her  3 days ago and she showed me her hair was just falling out in handfuls. So yesterday she shaved it all off. She said her head hurt because it wa falling out. She gets her real-hair wit next week. She is another women who will not become a victim of breast cancer. I still wonder how three women who next door neighbors all got breast cancer ... we joke that it must be the water, but I wonder about the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment